My husband and I have a goal of becoming debt-free by August 2015. This means we’re trying to save money wherever we can! One of the ways we’re doing this is by shopping at Aldi. We looove Aldi, like, we wanna marry it (jk). We love the price and the quality of all of the groceries we buy there.
However, I also prefer to eat veganish and gluten-free (gf). A lot of vegan gf recipes on the internet have somewhat exotic ingredients that are difficult to find at a typical grocery store (although this is changing). This means they’re usually at the more expensive stores.
We are doing several things to save money while still eating vegan gf meals. We: a) keep vegan, gf “staples” in our home (e.g. brown rice and tamari soy sauce); b) shop at Aldi for as many items as we can; and c) use recipes that have mostly inexpensive products in them.
Last night, I made this easy veggie fried rice, adapted from Aldi’s “Spring Veggie Fried Rice” recipe. It definitely got our vote! It makes great leftovers too! We bought most of these ingredients from Aldi. One exception is the tamari soy sauce, which we had gotten previously from Whole Foods. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (if you're in a hurry, you can use Aldi's instant brown rice)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 6 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces (we defrosted some frozen spears from Aldi)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- In a medium saucepan, cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, asparagus and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add rice, tamari and peas to skillet; cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss well before serving.